Monday, April 16, 2012

GPS navigation with Osmand+



On Friday I went down to Deland, Fl to get my grandfather who was on a fishing trip down there.

When I was first asked about going down there to get him I viewed the map in OpenStreetMap and made some corrections to the fish camp he was staying at there, and made all the appropriate tags.

In the past I have tried to use Osmand+ to route me places and have found it to be all but useless for getting directions.  Since I didn't have any time frame I needed to make it down there I decided I would try the latest version to see how it would perform.

Everything seemed to go very smoothly, thought I am very sure that the route it took me was not the best.  It had me get off after Gainseville, drive east of town, and then head South.  I took its advice since I like taking back-roads when I'm not pressed for time.

About two miles from my destination it tried to take me down a road that ran into a private government area that was blocked off by a fence.  I tried Google Maps and it was doing the exact same thing.

I drove just a few hundred feet past that wrong turn and it rerouted me the correct way.
At my destination I fixed the OSM mapping and filed a bug with Google Maps.  I also walked around the fish camp and made updates based off of observations that could not be easily made from satellite imagery.

I was very happy with the capabilities of Osmand's offline routing mode.  The most recent version of the offline maps for Florida did not have the fixes I had made for the fish camp the previous week, but that was alright as prioprietary maps can take years to have updates and receiving the updates can be costly.


No comments:

Post a Comment